Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Different playing fields

When I was a young teacher, I had a very strong willed, opinionated high school senior once tell me that anyone that believed in God and considered themselves Christians were weak souled individuals who didn't have a mind of their own. He knew that I was a Christian, so it was essentially a personal attack.

It really got me to thinking on a couple of different things. First, I didn't appreciate anyone, especially a student, making personal attacks against me. I had never experienced that before and so I to learn if and how I would deal with it. Second, it was my first realization that I wasn't in West Michigan (Bible belt of Michigan) any more.

You see, where I grew up, there was nearly a church on every corner and then a couple more in the middle of the blocks. There are literally churches everywhere you go. Sure, there are a number of different denominations, but basically all Christian. I grew up in a secluded, sheltered area. My parents never went to church, but the majority of people around me did and I did (with the neighbors) from when I was about the age of 5 on.

I love my God with a fierce love. My hearts desire to do His will and please Him. So, when someone is telling me to my face that I am weak and cannot think for myself because I love my God, I was hurt. It was then that I really understood that not everyone believes in my loving, compassionate God. I was saddened by this fact. Not because I felt I was right and they were wrong but becasue IF I was right, I would never see some of these people again after our lives on Earth are done.

Living in Denver really made me aware just how ungodly our nation is. In the area I lived (North Denver) it was about 97% unchurched. That is astounding to a little country girl who grew up in a town with a billion churches. It also made me aware that I cannot expect some people to be held to the same moral standards that I have held myself to. I means that when I disagree with someone on a spiritual issue, if they are not Christian I cannot just simply say, "because the Bible says so." That means nothing to someone who doesn't believe the Bible to begin with.

Coming from two different spiritual perspectives makes for an uneven playing field when in a discussion/arguement. You can't just rely on faith when making a point because the other person doesn't share the same faith. It's hard...it's very, very hard!

3 comments:

Anita said...

Talking about a specific discussion? When you are discussing issues without someone who doesn't have the same beliefs I think that is where true grace come in to play. It is difficult! But necessary...

LL said...

I was called a religous fantaic once a few years ago. I had a Bible verse in an online profile. This person told me that she would anything that I would say would have do credibility because of my faith. At first I took great offense at it and was deeply wounded. And then I thanked her for the compliment and said that I would never apologize for my relationship with Christ. She later apologized to me in a later post and admitted that she was an atheist. I haven't heard from her since. I still have the Bible verse in my profile and I continue to pray for her.

Anonymous said...

This is a great post, sister! I love how you developed this thought.

And you're absolutely right...when you debate/discuss with someone who is not a follower of Christ, your entire paradigm is different from theirs, so the struggle just to understand each other at a gut level is monumental.