Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Luckybug Boutique- 100% of profits to support shunt research

STARS-kids strives to ensure a brighter future for shunted children. A shunt is the preferred treatment for hydrocephalus, a neurologic condition affecting 1 in 500 persons. Excess cerebrospinal fluid collects in the brain increasing intracranial pressure and compromising neurofunction. Shunt complications are common. Hydrocephalus is life-threatening. Research to create non-invasive treatment and find a cure is critically underfunded and absolutely necessary. Proceeds from the 2nd annual walk-a-thon on Oct. 25th (held in 3 locations: Grand Haven, MI; Detroit, MI; Miami, FL) will fund qualified research projects directly.

As I have mentioned in previous posts, Lil Bug has hydrocephalus. Without a shunt to relieve the excess fluid off her brain, she would die. She had the shunt placed when she was just 2 days old. She has already had to have one revision (which requires brain surgery) when she was 2 years old. Shunt failure rates are extremely high and statistically speaking, Lil Bug will face many revisions throughout her life (although we pray against that!). Each revision exposes her to potential blood and brain infections and takes her away from school (and eventually work). As her mother I am extremely interested in assisting any way I can in raising funds for more research to be conducted. I want Lil Bugs future to be surgery free!!!

I have registered a team for the walk on the 25th and I am working to raise as much money as possible. One of the ways I plan to get money is from my Etsy shop. So, from now until Oct. 24th I am giving 100% of any profits earned from http://www.luckybugboutique.etsy.com/ to STARS (seeking techniques advancing research in shunts). If you have considered buying in the past and haven't gotten around to it, please strongly consider making the purchase now. You will get a quality product made with love and I will get money to put towards this great cause. I am in the process of adding a few GREAT products to my Etsy shop. I have toddler sized pillows and pillow cases, beautiful, trendy nursing covers (hooter hiders), and checkbook covers to add soon. If you are interested in any of these products, let me know and I will get you some pics and prices. I am not sure when I will get them on the Etsy site as I have been busy making them for upcoming craft fairs.

If you are not interested in making a purchase but you are interested in supporting this great cause, please contact me directly at luckybugboutique (at) sbcglobal.net and I can let you know how to do just that!

If you live in the Grand Haven, MI area and are interested in walking with our team, we would love to have you! Please email me and I will get you the details.

Lil Bug and I both thank you for your support!!!

http://www.STARS-kids.org

3 comments:

LL said...

I have always planned on buying a carrier from you...was trying to wait until we were matched but I may just have to go ahead and do it!

Anita said...

BigE could use more of those fabulous bibs!!

Anonymous said...

My sis decided she doesn't want a carrier right now :-( but she did really like the ones she saw on your Etsy site.

I might pre-order some bibs for my new niece for Christmas, though!