Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Happy 4th birthday, Lil Bug!!!

It was 4 years ago this morning that I went to the dr. to get written permission to fly to California (to have Lil Bug by c-section as we were part of a study for prenatal surgery on Spina Bifida children). When I went to the dr.'s office they did an exam and said I was 2cm dilated and 80% effaced (sp?). They hooked me up to a machine and told me I was having regular contractions. And, with all of that, they told me it was safe for me to get on an airplane and fly across the country to San Francisco.

I was stressed, feeling horrible and scared as all get out! I came home with strict orders to not get out of bed until I boarded the plane the next day. I called my mom and asked her to come help me get things together for us to leave. The Designer and my sister left to get some grocery's for the dog/house sitter.

About 2 hours after I got home from the dr.'s office I was trying to get up off the couch to use the restroom and my water broke. My mom freaked out on me! We had just moved to Michigan and didn't even know how to get to the hospital. I called The Designer at the store and he was checking out...rather than pay and take the grocery's he just left everything and bolted!!!

We arrived at the hospital and I had to argue with the Dr.'s about having a c-section. Fortunately I had asked for a copy of my records while at the dr.'s earlier in the day and they reviewed it. About 6 hours of active, painful contractions later they finally granted me the c-section and my beautiful, fragile little Gracie Bug was born.

I didn't get to see her until after I was out of recovery. I couldn't hold her for nearly 2 weeks due to her back surgery and brain surgery.

But, the moment I laid eyes on her in her tiny little covered bed, I knew that my life would never be the same. My heart was now being carried around on the outside of my body. From her beautiful dark hair (which was half shaved off for the surgery) to her tiny little pudgy feet, she was perfect!

Now, when I look at her, I see miracle after miracle. She is more than I could have ever dreamed. I have learned more from her about life than from anyone else in my entire life. She makes me a better person. I am honored and proud to be her mother.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LIL BUG! Mommy loves SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much!!!!

4 comments:

LL said...

happy Happy Birthday Lil Bug!!! You are so blessed to have your mommy and your mommy is so blessed to have you, beautiful girl as her daughter. May God bless you and guide you through life and always.

Erin said...

Happy birthday to Lil Bug!!

I hope you had a wonderful day :D

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Bug! Your mommy is so proud of you!

Anita said...

VERY late here, but "Happy B'day Bug!"