Friday, March 14, 2008

Orphan Ministry

A few weeks ago our church announced that they are starting an orphan ministry and they asked if anyone was interested.

Of course I signed up and last night was our first meeting. It was an introductory meeting, explaining who we are, why we felt led to that group and what direction would we like it to go.
One of the myths I was prepared to address within the group (and the church as a whole, if necessary) was that DIAs are not saving "orphans."

I am happy to say that the group got it...they understood. I explained that I have absolutely nothing against domestic adoption (when done for the right reasons and ethically) and find it a beautiful, legitimate way to grow a family, however, if people felt like they are led to "save a child," then DIA is NOT the program for them.

With that, the group focused on local and state foster children that are available for adoption. We are not sure where our group will go and what we are supposed to accomplish, but I am so excited to be a part of this endeavor. I have been praying fervently that God will use me in this capacity and surprise, surprise...he is!

3 comments:

nush said...

how exciting angie!

Unknown said...

SO COOL!

Anita said...

Personally, I feel that DIA should be the exception not the norm. If you need any references for state adoption/foster adoption let me know. I have some great friends who have been "in the system" for years.