Tuesday, November 6, 2007

I need some advice (maybe a child psychologist?!?!)

This post is for those of you that have been there, done that, with your child and for those of you that will just plain find it funny (the humor is at the end)!

As you know from previous posts, Lil Bug has a physical disability. She was born with Spina Bifida. As a result, she also has hydrocephalus, which has consequencial brain damage, etc. So, taking all of that in, it might not surprise you that we have spent countless hours, days and weeks at hospitals and doctors offices, surrounded by dr's and nurses.

Now Lil Bug is 3 years old. She is a very intelligent child. She is also very articulate. She has been infatuated with pregnant women for some time now. She has been around a lot of pregnant women for the past 6-8 months. She plays pregnant often and just about anything in our house is fairgame for becoming the "baby" she shoves up her shirt to pretent she is pregnant.

For a very short period of time, she watched A Baby Story on t.v. We stopped it quickly because she started imitating what she saw on the show. That was about 4 or 5 months ago. She still acts it out and she is very detailed in doing so. It is almost embarrasing because I fear she is doing this at school, although the teacher has assured me she hasn't.

So, on to the part that I might need some guidance on. My daughter is totally obsessed with medical/surgery shows on t.v. I mean the bloody, gorey, show-it-all kind where they do open heart surgery or brain surgery. She can be playing and if she passes the tv and something like that is on, she stops dead in her tracks, sits down and stares longingly at the t.v. The Designer and I have talked about this...we are not sure if we should let her watch this or not. I mean, I have heard of some people knowing from childhood what they would be/do for a career as an adult. In fact, The Designer did. He knew when he was kindergarten age that he would be an architect. I don't want to not encourage this, but I don't want her having nightmares about what she is seeing on t.v. either. So, is it ok for a just barely 3 year old to see this.

As a side note, she has never once woken up from a nightmare. She has never seemed disturbed by all of the blood and guts. So, what do I do? I want to do the right thing, but I have no idea what that is. Allow her to watch this educational, yet disgusting t.v. or stop her for fear of what it might do to her head?

On her own accord she regularly tells me she is going to be a doctor when she grows up. I had the mind to ask her what kind of doctor she was going to be the other day and she informed me that she is going to help babies be born. Then she took it a step further and said specifically that she is going to help Dora (yep, you know the one...the explorer!) have babies....um, do I have a future OB/GYN on my hands?

7 comments:

Mommy said...

Oh I love me some Lil Bug stories!! She is too cute and it's simply her imagination hard at work. I too believe that kids have an idea of what they want to do as a career when they are very young. Read Michelle's blog from when she was tagged...http://dreambig-jmd.blogspot.com/

She remembers her open heart surgery from when she was 2 1/2 yrs old and then decided she wanted to be a cardiologist! Like you said, Lil Bug has bee surrounded by Drs very often. It's become a part of her life, she's comfortable with it. If she is not having nightmares and not showing any signs of fear while watching,I wouldn't worry about it. When I was 7, I used to perform surgeries on my teddy bears. I would put them to sleep first, then cut open the belly and remove some of the stuffing. Then I would sew them back up. I guess you can say I gave my teddies liposuctions!! LOL!

nush said...

That's awesome Angie! I have no idea what to tell ya with the whole TV thing. I personally think it's not like your allowing her to watch murder stories or something. These are real patients and medical staff she's watching. I think I would probably shield her from watching a lot of that gore as of right now, I mean she is only three. She has plenty of time to watch that stuff later on when she is a bit older. I don't think keeping her away from the open heart surgeries while she is three is going to stifle her desire to become a surgeon some day!
That's just my opinion though:)

Anita said...

Meek and I disagree... he says "sensor" I say "let her watch." Although, maybe not "all" procedures.

Anonymous said...

I don't see any problem. As long as she isn't having nightmares. But maybe in moderation. Like Jenia said I remember my surgery and I remember when I was 5 or so I wanted this heart toy that was anatomically correct. It even pulled apart so you could see the inside. And I was 5! Everything I wanted was heart/hospital related.

Who knows you may have a doctor in your house. :)

By the way DH also knew when he was little what he was going to be when he grew up.

She is going to be one amazing woman when she grows up.

BouWho said...

I would think that if it were doing anything emotionally traumatizing you would have seen the effect by now. Most people who get yucked out at that stuff know it when they are young. It is very possible that she could be a Doctor. Very cool.

Unknown said...

First, GO lil bug!!! I can't wait to see her in practice.

Second, I let Beaner watch those shows, and she watched baby story with me when I was carrying Bert (she was 2-3), so I guess I'm no help. I find the med shows fascinating too, so who am I to say "no"? Just watch for any odd signs, I guess.

Jake and Emily said...

I think allowing her to watch the shows with you (so long as she is not frightened by them) is fine. I think the important thing would be to let her know that if she has questions, she can come feel comfortable to come to you with them. As you've said, doctors have had an important influence in her life at a young age...I know people who had cancer in childhood & have grown up to become doctors!

GO, LIl BUG, GO! :)