Thursday, July 10, 2008

Easy way to raise money for shunt research! www.goodsearch.com

There is a small charity organization located on the other side of our state called STARS (Seeking Techniques Advancing Research in Shunts). Last October they held their first ever walk-a-thon (well, first for this area) and Bug and I were supposed to walk except the weather was awful, so I walked with my dad and left Bug behind (with her grandma).

The purpose of the organization is just as the name implies...to raise money for research. As it stands, there is currently NO public funding for shunt research. Right now there is a 60-70% failure rate during the first year of placement. I can't be the only one who things that is a ridiculously HUGE number of failures? Bugs didn't "fail" per se, but she did outgrow it and had to have a revision last year. We are talking about brain surgery here, so not something we want to mess around with unless we have to.

So, here is where you come in...maybe you could change your search engine from Google to goodsearch.com? It is that simple. Every time you use goodsearch.com for your legitimate search, they donate money to any charity they have an affiliation with (the list is VERY long) and you can view how much they have donated to date. If you don't have another charity that is near and dear, would you mind using goodsearch.com and selecting Seeking Techniques Advancing Research in Shunts - STARS Kids (Livonia, MI) ID: 875762

Here is an excerpt from their site:
Here's a new easy way to raise money for your favorite cause. Just start using GoodSearch.com as your search engine and online shopping mall. Every time you search the Internet or make an online purchase at one of their partner merchants, GoodSearch makes a donation to your favorite nonprofit or school and it's powered by Yahoo! so you get great search results!


I am a Google addict, so switching was going to be a bit of a challenge for me. To solve the problem I just made it my homepage. Now, as soon as I open my browser it is the first thing I see, hence reminding me regularly to use it rather than Google for my searches.

Bug and I both thank you!!!!!!!

2 comments:

LL said...

I am also a googeler...but will be changing to goodsearch. Thank you for shaing this with us!

Anita said...

I generally "do yahoo" so this is a no brainer switch for me! Thanks for the info!