Monday, February 18, 2008

It is 3:12 AM

I am awake. That is NOT good!

So, we arrived home on Wednesday evening from our vacation. I was starting to feel a little "tension" in my chest, but figured it would soon subside after we were off flights, etc. Boy was I wrong...4.5 days later and I still feel yucky.

Lil Bug woke up on Thursday sounding just fine but said that she didn't feel well. I kept her home from preschool. By Thursday night she was sounding a little congested. She woke during the early morning hours (I think it was around 4:45) on Friday and couldn't sleep. This was her 2nd time of waking and Lil Princess had been awake 2 times already by then as well. I went into Bugs room to settle her and she asked me to hold her hand. The second I touched it I knew something was wrong. The Designer was up with Princess at the same time and heard all the commotion going on in Bugs room so he came to see what the fuss was all about. "Lil Bug is burning up!" I quickly take her temp and can't believe my eyes...it reads 103.6. Poor little girl! She is having a hard time breathing as well. She displays a serious croupy cough.

I administered some tylenol and wrapped her up tight and took her outside because I know that cool, moist evening air is the best for croupy kids. That helped a little. I decide that it is time to take her to the ER. The Desigher had a meeting at 7:30 out of town, so I was planning to take Princess with me, but he said he would stay home (he NEVER misses a meeting!!!). It took me about 5 minutes to change my clothes, brush my teeth and start the car warming and by then Bugs temp had already dropped 1/2 degree. I was encouraged by this. As her temp dropped, her breathing regulated. We decided not to take her in to the ER afterall.

She didn't really return to sleep and but when she did doze for even a few minutes I tried to catch some zzzzz's. That didn't last long as Princess decided to join the party once again. So, I was VERY tired. I am thankful that I wasn't feeling well the night before and went to bed early so I had some sleep between the wake-up calls.

The morning goes fine and afternoon quickly arrives. I put Bug down for her nap and she only stayed down for about 40 minutes, which is short for her. When she awoke, she was retracting (breathing hard and up under her ribs) so I decide to call the dr to see if they can give her a breathing treatment (we had one once before). They finally returned my call and agreed that they should see her. The Designer comes home from work early and I take Bug in. The dr. suspects that she has the nasty influenza bug and swabs her nose. He was right! He prescribed Tamiflu for her and he wrote me a prescription too. He said "this is for WHEN you need it, (not IF you need it) over the weekend."

I filled Bugs prescription right away and she is already on the mend. Me on the other hand....well, not so much. I couldn't tell if I really had the influenza because I was so busy taking care of other sickies in the house, I didn't have time to evaluate myself. I knew that I had a cold, but I didn't even take my temp or anything else. As of yesterday it was VERY clear that I also have it, but the Tamiflu must be taken with the first 48 hours for it to be effective and at $122 for a 10 day supply, I didn't want to waste my money because I probably have had it for more than 48 hours already. So, I suffer through.

It is currently 3 something in the morning (or is that still night?) and I can't breathe so I am sitting up for some very minor relief and what else am I going to do but blog, of course. I have to teach tonight. I hope I am feeling better by then! I missed class last week because of our Florida trip, so I cannot miss again. I would be in BIG trouble and the students would be way far behind.

2 comments:

S said...

Sorry you feel so crappy. It's just like a mom to take care of everybody but herself..hehe. I hope you are feeling better. Hope princess and bug can get some rest for ya!

Hugs!

Anita said...

Man! I hope you are all back to yourselves soon! You've been sick for so long! God send a healing!!