Monday, December 29, 2008

Strange dream last night

Last night (or was it early this morning?) I had a dream that I received a call from a friend (nobody I know in real life, but in my dream she was my friend) and she needed me to go to her OB appt. I knew she was planning to place for adoption and she wanted my support. When I got there, her boyfriend (the father of the baby) was there as well as the couple who planned to adopt the baby.

My friend was very not attached to the baby and acted as if this whole adoption thing was no big deal whatsoever. The waiting-to-adopt couple had already laid claim to the child and were calling the baby girl theirs already. There was a level of excitement in the waiting room that seemed odd to me as the friend there to support the expecting mom.

Then I looked over and noticed that the expectant father was sad. I realized then that the reason I was there was to support him, not the e-mom. I asked him if he was ok and told me no. He began to cry and proceeded to tell me that he couldn't imagine life without his daughter in it and that he did not want her to be placed for adoption but my friend wasn't giving him a choice. I asked him if he was prepared to parent alone and he said yes. I remember telling him about some resources to help him and then I woke up.

Hmmm....interesting?!?!

1 comment:

Anita said...

It is interesting. Fathers are all too often overlooked.