Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Chicago, baby!

Last Friday Bug, Princess, my mom and I loaded up the Murano and drove down to Chicago. We went there for the purpose of meeting some of my adoption board buddies. In addition, we planned some other fun things to do.

Princess is NOT a good car traveler. In fact, she hates it so much that she screams until she throws up (I know, not a good picture!). So, when we made it all the way to Chicago (about a 3.5 hour drive) on Friday with no vomit, we were elated! We spent the day at Navy Pier and then went and played at Dave & Busters. It was late when we left there and headed for our hotel. Apparently the last 30 minutes in the car was just too much and she screamed until she got sick all over everything. Bug was so tired that she fell asleep on the way and after listening to Princess cry for a good period of time I looked back and saw that she was plugging her ears in her sleep. Then, after much frustration, she muttered, "will you please give that kid a bottle?" Again, while still asleep. My mom and I were very amused.

Princess slept TERRIBLE on Friday night. She was awake at least once an hour and most hours she was up 2-3 times. By morning I was delirious. We got our goodies packed up and headed over to Joy's house for the first annual AT get together. It was a great time and I was able to meet (in person) many of the ladies I chat with online and their beautiful babies. There were 5 adopted babies in all and 2 more children. If Princess was feeling better and more social, it would have been a better experience, but we still had fun. Bug made friends with Jane (age 7) and they played great!

After another sleepless night in Chicago we took it easy Sunday morning. Later in the day we headed over to visit with my sister and my two nieces. I haven't seen them since last summer and it was their first time meeting Princess. The girls really enjoyed playing with their cousins! It was nice to see Brenda too. We aren't super close (ok, who am I kidding? We aren't close at all!) but it is still nice to see her.

Sunday night my mom took on Princess duty and although we were all staying in the same small hotel room, I was able to get a tiny bit more sleep, which did wonders for me. We took the girls swimming at the hotel pool and then packed up and headed out. About 1.5 hours into our journey home Princess woke up and coincidentally we were right by Michigan City, which has a large outlet mall so, we HAD to stop and shop. A couple of hours and a few bargains later we buckled back into the car and headed home. We arrived back in Grand Rapids around 9pm.

This morning I got the girls all cleaned up and dressed and we headed to the medi-center (the pediatrician was on vacation today) and 3 hours later we had a diagnosis of yet another double ear infection. This is the third one Princess has had in as many months. But, we have drugs, so she should begin feeling better real soon.

Photobucket
Princes and Jack...aren't they cute? Look at how they are holding hands!

Photobucket
These are the AT girls...Jane, Bug, Princess and Edith

Photobucket
Here are the AT girls and the babes.

Photobucket
The babies!!! Oh so yummy and cute!

Photobucket
Bug and her buddy, Jane

5 comments:

LL said...

Had to chuckle at Bug's comment while sleeping!

Your girls are beautiful. Hope Princess feels better SOON! I am sad that Jay and I could not come to the G2G...hopefull neext year and just maybe we will have a little one.

nush said...

Aww, thats awesome you were able to meet up with your chat buddies! The babies are all so cute!!! Princess is getting so big! its hard to believe how far you have come in your adoption journey since we met on the bethny boards!How cool! Hope you are doing well!
ps. hope you guys did something for your 12th anniversary! we celebrate 9 years on the 4th! whooohoooo!!!
cya

Anonymous said...

My little brother was the same as Princess in the car; turns out he got severely motion sickness. I remember my mom would give him a baby sized does of Dramamine or other travel soothing thing. Check with her pediatrician...it could be that.

LL said...

I have given you an award, check out my blog to accept it. Thanks for letting me in on your life with your beautiful girls!

Anita said...

Soo much fun, except for the non stop crying and the vomit! Sorry I missed it. Bug makes me laugh!!