Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Letter to my daughter

I just stumbled upon this letter I wrote to Lil' Bug when she was just a couple months old. It made me smile...
--------------------
Hello my darling daughter, Lil' Bug.

I am so happy you are finally here. The day your daddy and I learned that we were pregnant with you was one of the happiest days of our lives so far. We knew we were going to have a baby, but we didn’t know anything about you. We talked a lot about who you would look like and who you would act like. It wasn’t until you were born that we realized you are the perfect blend of both your daddy and me. You have your daddy’s long, beautiful eyelashes and many of your facial expressions resemble his. You have my dark brown hair and many people have said that your pretty little rose petal lips look like mine. And even though you have some of our characteristics, you are so much an individual. You are one of a kind. You are Lil' Bug.

You have no idea how much you have changed and blessed our world. Before you were born both your daddy and I worked full time. Your daddy still works as an architect, but I no longer work as a teacher. I believe teaching is one of the most important jobs in society, but it doesn’t even come close to the importance of being a stay at home parent. I get to see your every move each and every day. The first time you gave me a real smile it brought tears to my eyes and warmed my heart for days. It was like an addiction. I worked very hard to get the next few smiles and eventually they just started coming all the time. I didn’t think there was anything better than that in life. That is until I heard you laugh out loud for the very first time. It was music to my ears and my heart began to dance.

I look forward to every day we get to share together. Soon you will be rolling over and sitting up on your own. Not long after that you will take your first steps, start school, and you will eventually become an independent young lady. My promise to you is that I will cherish you every moment of every day. I will always be your biggest cheerleader in life. Set your sights high because you can do anything you set your mind to. You will make mistakes. Everyone does. But, you can always learn from your mistakes so don’t ever feel like you have failed. Just look at it as a life lesson and move on. By doing this, you will be the women God intended you to be and nothing less.

And now I leave you with this…don’t just dream, baby girl, dream big!

Love always and forever,

Your mommy

3 comments:

SJ said...

Writing her a letter is a wonderful idea! She will cherish that forever when she grows up :) Love ya!

Steph said...

Beautiful!

Anita said...

Beautiful letter!